Same Mission, Expanded Method
By Paul Sigler, Executive Director
Recently my wife, Riley, and I were sitting across the breakfast table from another young couple (early 30s) at a marriage retreat in north Georgia. When I told them about HigherTrek the husband expressed that for many years he had had a strong desire to be discipled but didn't know how to start or where to find an older man willing to disciple him.
Sadly, I was not surprised by his story because it's one I hear often. The vast majority of men have never experienced anything like what HigherTrek has offered for the past 20 years. That is why I'm so excited that we are nearing completion of the HigherTrek video series! The other day I showed one of the series episodes to a friend from college. His response: “I wish I had seen this when I was a student." There is no shortage of young men who could benefit from this content (Alan informed me that over two million guys in the US turn 18 every year!) and I can't wait to see how the Lord uses it next year as we test and launch this video-based discipleship curriculum.
I'm equally excited about the impact this digital resource could have on potential facilitators. I am convinced that there are many men who, like Chuck (HigherTrek’s founder), have a heart to equip young men with the tools, skills, and resources they need to live extraordinary lives as followers of Jesus Christ. However, unlike Chuck, most of us don’t know where to start… And that is why alongside the video series we plan to offer facilitator training and a HigherTrek “guidebook” that will walk groups through the process.
1 Chronicles 12:22 says, “Day after day men came to help David, until he had a great army, like the army of God.” This is my prayer for HigherTrek. That God would raise up a great army of Chuck Wengers, of Alan and Cindy Wells’, of Christian Postels, of HigherTrek Alumni… To fight for young men across the nation and the world. To see all young men take ownership of their faith and follow Jesus for a lifetime. Same mission, expanded method.
If you are passionate about seeing young men discipled and want to be a part of what God is doing through HigherTrek, there are several ways you can be involved:
1. Give - This is probably the easiest way to partner with us and it is also a huge help. As the ministry expands so do costs, so we are trusting God for an increase in monthly financial partners as we move into 2024.
2. Pray - When I look at our culture and the world it seems more obvious than ever that “our struggle is not against flesh and blood” (Eph 6:12). We are in a battle. Thus, as we plan to strategically expand the ministry in 2024, we expect pushback (2 Cor. 2:11). We need partners committed to covering our guys, alumni, facilitators, board, and staff in prayer.
3. Connect - Do you know people or ministries that want to help young men grow and might benefit from utilizing the HigherTrek video series? We’d love to connect with them.
4. Send - Registration for our 2024 summer program is open! Encourage young men to visit highertrek.com to learn more.
5. Facilitate (Fall 2024) - Do you know 2-6 young men who want to grow but aren’t able to attend a summer program? Consider becoming a HigherTrek facilitator and inviting them to journey through the video series with you next fall!
If you have any questions, please reach out. I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for your encouragement, prayers, and support!
“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” -Ephesians 2:10